9 Houseplants That Are Toxic To Pets

Follow @softspotapp

9 Houseplants That Are Toxic To Pets

A little greenery can add cheeriness to any home, and it’s no surprise that people love the living decor. However, pet parents should be aware that certain plants are toxic and can harm their dogs or cats if ingested, and should keep those varieties out of their furry friend’s reach — or better yet, avoid them altogether.

Below, you’ll find a list of few common house plants that can harm pets, based on information from the ASPCA (Click here to view their extensive list of toxic and non-toxic plants). If you think your dog or cat has gotten into something that could be dangerous, call your vet, local emergency vet, or the ASPCA Poison Control Center: (888) 426-4435.


  • Caladium

Also known as elephant’s ears, this wide-leafed houseplant can be used in home décor, but it’s also toxic for cats and dogs. Ingestion can cause mouth irritation, pain, swelling, excessive drooling, vomiting, and trouble swallowing.

  • Oleander

Notorious for its poisonous properties, oleander can harm people as well as pets. When eaten, this plant can cause symptoms including gastrointestinal problems, depression, and even death.

  • Ivy

Our furry friends should stay away from all forms of ivy, since nibbling it can have adverse effects. Many varieties are especially toxic in the leaves, which can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation.

  • Aloe Vera

This gelatinous plant may be soothing for skin, but not so much for our consumption. Eating it can cause digestion issues like vomiting and diarrhea for our companions, so it’s best to keep these succulents out of snout’s reach.

  • Philodendron

The teardrop-shaped leaves of a philodendron are pretty, but taking a bite can mean oral burning and irritation, problems swallowing or digestion upset for our four-legged friends.

  • Dumb Cane

Another plant with ornate leaves, dumb cane can irritate and burn pets’ mouths, cause vomiting, drooling, and problems swallowing.

  • Sago Palm

This decorative plant sheds orange seeds that dogs are especially likely to eat. Toxicity can cause the digestive upset, but is also known to have much worse repercussions. Sago palm poisoning can result in liver damage, kidney failure, or death, so it may be best for pet parents to keep these out of their home and yard.

  • Lilies

Oddly, lilies are not toxic for dogs, but they’re on this list because they’re often deadly for cats. Just a nibble of a stem, leaf, or petal can lead to kidney failure, and sniffing the pollen or drinking water from the vase is toxic, too.

  • Tulips

While they make lovely bouquets, tulips, especially the bulbs, have a toxin that’s bad for pets. Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and excessive salivation can all occur if these flowers are eaten.


6 Things New Cat Owners Should Know


The 3 Most Important Halloween Safety Tips For Pets