15 Popular Garden Plants That Are Toxic To Pets

Follow @softspotapp

Gardens are beautiful and landscaping can add curb appeal, but pet parents should be careful what they plant in their yards. There are lots of botanicals that can be toxic to cats and dogs, and a little research can prevent a big problem.

Always make sure your plants are pet-safe, or at the very least, keep a close eye on your companion when they’re outside. A quick Google search will usually tell you whether a plant is poisonous, and in some cases, that knowledge can save a life.

Based on information gathered by the ASPCA, below is a list of 15 popular plants that can harm dogs or cats. Check out the site’s extensive Poisonous Plants List, and if you think your pet has ingested something toxic, immediately call your vet, local emergency vet, or the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435.

  • Azaleas

Also called rhododendron, these brightly-hued flowers can poison pets. Ingestion can cause digestion issues, weakness, and at worst, cardiac failure.

  • Geraniums

Eating geraniums can cause unpleasant symptoms for our furry friends, including vomiting, depression, lack of appetite, or skin rashes.

  • Daffodils

With most of the toxicity concentrated in the bulb, pets who consume these flowers may vomit, have diarrhea, or start to salivate. Large quantities can cause more dangerous symptoms, such as tremors or cardiac arrhythmias.

  • Tulips

While they make lovely bouquets, tulips, especially the bulbs, have a toxin that’s bad for pets. Vomiting, diarrhea, depression, and excessive salivation can all occur if these flowers are eaten.

  • Gladiolas

Like with most other flowers, the bulbs hold the most poison. If consumed, gladiolas can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and lethargy.

  • Philodendron

The teardrop-shaped leaves of a philodendron are pretty, but taking a bite can mean oral burning and irritation, problems swallowing, or digestion upset for our four-legged friends.

  • Aloe Vera

This gelatinous plant may be soothing for skin, but not so much for our consumption. Eating it can cause digestion issues like vomiting and diarrhea for our companions, so it’s best to keep these succulents out of snout’s reach.

  • Mushrooms

Most people don’t intentionally plant mushrooms in their yards, but if those little buggers pop up — or you encounter them on a walk — keep your companion far away. It is very difficult to tell which ones are safe, and the poisonous ones tend to be potent and can lead to deadly consequences. If you have a pet and see mushrooms in your property, make sure to remove them immediately.

  • Autumn Crocus

These blooms may be beautiful, but they can be deadly for cats and dogs. In addition to bloody vomiting and diarrhea, ingestion of these flowers can cause shock, organ damage, and bone marrow suppression.

  • Sago Palm

This decorative plant sheds orange seeds that dogs are especially likely to eat. Toxicity can cause the digestive upset, but is also known to have much worse repercussions. Sago palm poisoning can result in liver damage, kidney failure, or death, so it may be best for pet parents to keep these out of their home and yard.

  • Oleander

Notorious for its poisonous properties, oleander can harm people as well as pets. When eaten, this plant can cause symptoms including gastrointestinal problems, depression, and even death.

  • Amaryllis

Don’t let your pets nibble this plant, which can cause digestional issues like vomiting, diarrhea, or abdominal pain, hypersalivation, lack of appetite, or tremors.

  • Dumb Cane

Another plant with ornate leaves, dumb cane can irritate and burn pets’ mouths, cause vomiting, drooling, and problems swallowing.

  • Lilies

Oddly, lilies are not toxic for dogs, but they’re on this list because they’re often deadly for cats. Just a nibble of a stem, leaf, or petal can lead to kidney failure, and sniffing the pollen or drinking water from the vase is toxic, too.

  • Ivy

Our furry friends should stay away from all forms of ivy, since eating it can have adverse effects. Many varieties are especially toxic in the leaves, which can cause oral irritation, vomiting, diarrhea, and excessive salivation.


8 Dog-Friendly Hotels In Arizona


Every Pet Parent Should Know These Signs Of Heat Stroke In Dogs